Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dahlia Bag in Vintage Japanese Chirimen Silk


Vintage Japanese Chirimen Silk
with beautiful hand painted mums.




This was a special Dahlia Bag made in Vintage Japanese Chirimen Silk from Kyouto. I made this bag for my sister-in-law and it's made from a beautiful piece of fabric that I have been saving.



Chirimen Silk or Crepe Silk is a beautiful silk which is usually used to make Kimonos. I love the raised texture of this fabric and it makes it look so unique. To make this piece the fabric was taken from a vintage kimono which I have a few of in my fabric stash but much to fond of to unpick at this moment. Did you know that a kimono can weigh at least a kilo and they are all hand sewn and taken apart to wash and re-sewn back. They are super expensive but really all pieces of art. I have some heavy silk kimonos with beautiful metallic embroidery but still saving them for something special.....This bag was a one of a kind but I will have more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...